Ski Jackets Buying Guide
Looking to buy a ski jacket? Here is our guide to help you find the best ski jackets and all in one suits, that will keep you warm and dry whilst on your next ski trip.
Shop Dare 2b Ski Jackets
A ski jacket is vital when out on the slopes, therefore it is important for you to choose the perfect one, based on your needs, style and budget. Our ski jacket buying guide will provide you with the information you need, to make that decision easier.
What are the best ski jackets?
A good quality, well fitted ski jacket is a necessity when it comes to skiing, apart from your skis. They will keep you both warm and dry in the toughest of skiing conditions whilst you're up in the mountains. Ski jackets should be hardwearing and waterproof, it also helps if they look good. The jacket you choose to buy depends on what type of skiing or snowboarding you plan on doing, as that will help to decide what is best for you.
Insulated Ski Jackets
Our Dare 2b insulated ski jackets feature high loft polyester insulation to keep you comfortable and warm whilst skiing or snowboarding. We have ensured that our insulated jackets are lightweight and not bulky, making them perfect for layering, when you need that extra warmth. Remember, the colder the climate, the thicker the insulated jacket will be.
Shell Ski Jackets
Not only are shell jackets lightweight, but they have a waterproof outer layer that protects from wind and moisture, ideal for pairing with a mid layer or even a base layer underneath. Unlike insulated jackets, shell ski jackets give you more freedom of movement due to the fact that they have less bulk. Take a look at our breathable, waterproof ski shell jackets for both men and women.
Softshell Ski Jackets
An extremely versatile ski jacket, a soft shell can be used as an outer layer when the weather is warmer or as an insulating layer underneath another jacket. Our softshell jackets have a water repellent finish, meaning they are not as waterproof as the other jacket types but are generally more breathable.
One-piece Ski Suits
Our range of all in one ski suits for women have been designed in collaboration with English fashion designer Julien Macdonald. The stylish ski suits come in 3 colour ways to choose from and have all been made with a soft-shell based fabric that has a waterproof treatment, with a soft touch backing to give you that extra warmth.
Waterproof & breathable ski jackets
A ski jacket should keep the snow out as well as release the moisture when you're on the slopes. We use a technology called ARED, our ARED clothing has been tested in real-life harsh conditions to make sure they are fit for you. It ranges from the highest most waterproof Ared 20,000 to Ared 5,000, meaning it can withstand differing amounts of water without moisture passing through the fabric. Breathability ranges from the highest 10,000 to 5,000. The highest the number, the better it is for high energy all day long, whilst skiing or snowboarding.
Technologies to look out for
- Ared - Garments engineered with Dare 2b’s Ared fabrics provide truly durable waterproofness, keeping water out through prolonged use in harsh conditions and demanding terrain. We measure the waterproof level or hydrostatic head of all our garments and offer a full hierarchy of performance, starting at 5,000mm all the way up to 20,000mm.
- Ared V02 stretch – Our most advanced waterproof technology. Garments using this are ideal for high energy activities with uncompromised freedom of movement and breathability. We ensure under testing that during heavy exertion our fabrics must breathe well to a standard of 10,000/m2/24hrs.
- AEP Kinematics – AEP Kinematic technology have been created to increase agility in sports clothing. AEP Kinematics analyses the body’s points of motion during athletic performance. Using data collected in our studies, AEP Kinematics introduces a new concept, specifically designed for each activity, to enhance both agility and power, using 360 degree stretch fabric, an ergonomic fit and advance articulation.
- Vect–VECT technology thermo-regulates the bodies temperature while active, keeping the wearer at an optimum temperature for longer. This soft thermo conductive ceramic coating is used on the inside of a product that absorbs the heat. This innovative use of ceramic material between your skin and fabric creates a personal microclimate.
Fit and Style
You ski jacket you fit you well, but it should also allow you to have full range of movement. If you find that your jacket is too tight or too big, it won't have a positive effect on your performance. In order to be 'the perfect fit' it should be snug enough to trap the warmth, but not be too tight to restrict your movement. Carry on reading for more advice on how your ski jacket should fit.
Slim fit ski jackets
A slimmer fitting ski jacket will allow you to be more streamlined when out on the slopes, it will give you more of a sporty fit. We recommend going up a size due to the fact as it fits tighter, meaning there will be less give and room for layers under the jacket. Many of our women's jackets have been designed to accentuate your waist, this is either done through the cut and shape of the jacket, or with an added belt to cinch your waist, shown in the Julien Macdonald range.
Regular fit ski jackets
This jacket will give you more room than described in the slim fit jacket, but it won't be as roomy as the relaxed fit ski jackets.
Relaxed fit ski jackets
The purpose of a relaxed fit ski jacket is to give you plenty of room for layering, allowing for extreme freedom of movement, it is ideal for either free riders or snowboarders.
What ski jacket do I need?
Something else to consider whilst buying a new ski jacket is what type of skiing/snow sports will you be doing, knowing this will help you to decide which ski jacket is best for you.
Types of Skiing
- Piste Skiing – If you’re planning to stay on piste most of the day and make you way down the mountain before getting the lift back up then consider an insulated ski jacket for colder climates. If you are a spring time skier then you may only need a softshell to keep you warm.
- Freestyle Ski – Searching for un-skied territory is no easy task. You will need a hardy outer shell to protect you from the elements. As well as insulating but breathable layers underneath. As you will be carrying these with you all day look for layer and shells that are lightweight. To keep you cool and ventilated look for extremely breathable garments, garments with ect for temperature regulation and features like pit zips.
- Cross country ski - For shorter runs through the park and getting the lift up consider a shell jacket with layers underneath so you can easily put on and take off in between the runs. You won’t then have lots of bulk to carry with you.
Ski Jacket Key features
It is important to look at the features the jackets offer, so you know their purpose. At Dare 2b we have ensured that our features will not only make you look good whilst on the slopes but will keep you both warm and safe.
Our ski jackets all feature a hood, some of them are adjustable, some are removable, whilst others can be wired. Wired hoods hold their shape, which is great whilst skiing as the hood is kept out of your face. Why not add some style to your jacket with a faux fur hooded ski jacket, available from out Luxe ski range.
Featured on the more technical jackets, you can unzip to open the underarm area, for times when you're feeling too warm.
Our more technical jackets feature articulation in the arms. Making it more comfortable, due to it being cut perfection for ski positions, it also reduces pull and tension in the jacket throughout the day.
Inner Wrist Cuffs
This ensures that no unwanted snow will enter your jacket whilst you are skiing/snowboard, and it helps to keep you more insulated.
An important feature in ski jackets, this will prevent snow from entering underneath your jacket if you were to tumble in the snow or there is heavy snowfall. Some snow skirts can be removable too.
A few of our men's and women's ski jackets have an audio pocket fitted on the inner of the jacket, allowing you to listen to music whilst out on the slopes, the wire can pass through the inner pocket.
Ski Goggle Pocket
Some of our ski jackets have soft touch inner pockets to prevent your goggles from being scratched when they're not in use.